Studio H Canada is excited to welcome visual artist Melanie Billark to our international artist residency this year. Melanie was to start her residency in February 2021, but our plans were halted due to Covid-19 travel restrictions – but now she will be here for one month over Sept/Oct 2021!
About the artist
Melanie Billark is an emerging, multi-disciplinary, Toronto-based artist. Her body of work surrounds themes of social and political issues that effect and surround principals of ecology. Her work strives to create awareness to various environmental issues within the public sphere. In her artist statement on her website she writes:
Throughout history humans have had a negative impact on natural systems within the environment. We have constantly taken natural resources in order to survive, changing and interfering with natural systems in order to adapt and accommodate our ever-changing lifestyles. How can this process of interference become a process of healing, mending, or repairingour relationship with nature?
- Bachelor of Fine Arts, Sculpture and Installation, Ontario College of Art and Design, Toronto, Ontario CA
- Advanced diploma in 2011 at Sheridan College’s Craft and Design Program for glass in Oakville, ON. She majored in kiln forming and minored in sand casting. Artist residency at the Living Arts Centre in Mississauga, ON, (1 year – 2012)
- Lonsdale Gallery
- Canadian Sculpture Centre, Gladstone Hotel
- Toronto Pearson Airport
- Xpace Cultural Centre. Melanie
- Treefort Gallery (International) & Community Based Installation at Kidfort, part of Treefort Music Fest 2018 in Boise, Id.
Watch this blog site for new posts by Melanie.